Wednesday, August 29, 2012

No Gift Opening at Kids' Birthday Parties: Preposterous or Brilliant?

I recently spent an exorbitant amount of time at a department store, trying to pick out the right gift for a five-year-old boy. My husband, baby daughter, and I had been invited to his birthday party as friends of the family. My thought process was comical. Would he be excited to open this? Would his mom be upset if I got him that? Did he already have this toy? The conversation went on and on, while the patient friend I'd brought shopping humored me.

No Gift Opening: The Experience of a Party Guest

That weekend, we arrived at the party, carefully selected gift in hand. This was a destination party, held at The Little Gym. After playtime, games, and birthday cake, the designated end time of the party arrived. But we'd yet to open the gifts.

"Are we opening gifts here?" I asked my husband. He answered that the gifts had already been packed away. I was incredulous. A birthday party with no gift-unwrapping ceremony? The idea seemed preposterous. Isn't that the whole point of a kids' birthday party? How would I know what the birthday boy's reaction would be to our gift? I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by disappointment as we left the party.

Read the full article >>>

2 comments:

  1. I share your frustration on buying gifts for kids. But over the years I have learned what type of gifts are appropriate for a kids birthday party. But I still have to put a lot of thought whenever such a task is at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want organize top party at your birthday time, Contact to Thepartystuff.com.sg. This is best site for find all party accessories and party supplies decorations like disney princess party, party supplies, kids party store, and birthday party themes. Here available all types party product for enjoy your party and for decorate your party.



    ReplyDelete