Monday, June 18, 2012

Disposable Diapers Stink! (And Other Reasons I Prefer Cloth)

My husband and I recently took a 10-day trip to visit my family. Because our cloth diapers would have taken up a lot of room in the car and we didn't want to have to use my parents' washer and dryer to clean them, we opted to use disposable diapers for the week. By the end of the week, I was dying to get home and wrap my baby back up in her cloth diapers! Here are five reasons why this was the case.

The stink of disposable diapers 


I can't tell you how many times my husband and I would sniff the air, look at each other, and ask, "Did she poop?" But it seemed like most of the times we checked her, we'd find out that she was clean. We are used to diapers that have no perfumes or chemicals in them, so when she has a dirty diaper, all we smell is, well, what she put in there. On the other hand, disposable diapers have this chemical perfume smell to them that gets especially strong when mixed with urine. Because of this, her diaper always smelled dirty to us, even when she had only peed. The worst part was that people who are used to disposable diapers didn't even notice the scent and sometimes even commented that the wet diaper smelled good.

The artificial ingredients in disposable diapers 


It's always nice to know that the only thing touching my baby's bottom when I put her in a cloth diaper is all-natural fibers. When I put her in disposable diapers, she is wearing something made of plastic, paper, glue, perfumes, and chemicals such as petrolatum. Some of the chemicals used in disposable diapers have been linked to allergic reactions, hormonal problems, and even cancer. My mom always comments about how rash-free my baby's bottom always looks. I think that should be the rule, not the exception.

Read the full article >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment