Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Bright Side of Being a Working Mom

As a working mom, it's easy to dwell on the downsides of my situation. I loved spending all day with my little girl while I was on maternity leave, learning her rhythms and cues, interacting with her, snuggling with her, and seeing every little new thing she did. When I went back to work after just nine short weeks, I had to make peace with my difficult situation. While part of me still longs to be a stay-at-home mom, I've been able to discover the bright side of being a working mom.

Appreciation of Time

When I was on maternity leave, I used to get so excited when my husband would show up at the end of a long day. As much as I loved my baby, I just needed a break from my 24/7 job. Now that I'm working, the little time I do get to spend with my daughter is precious, and we make every second count. Some of my mom friends who stay at home seem to look for opportunities to get away from their kids for a little bit. I, on the other hand, look for opportunities to be with her.

A Teammate in a Childcare Provider

My daughter goes to a babysitter each day that my husband and I are at work. I used to be afraid that I'd be jealous of the babysitter or that I'd lose control of my parenting, in a way. On the contrary, I am appreciative of my babysitter's assistance in raising our little girl. It's a great benefit to have someone else to troubleshoot and rejoice with. Plus, if we ever need someone to babysit during an evening or weekend, we have another person around who knows our baby almost as well as we do.

Read the full article >>>

No comments:

Post a Comment