Saturday, December 3, 2011

Loving the Moby Wrap

I knew before my babe was born that I wanted to be a "baby-wearing mom." I'd learned that babies who are held more cry less, and the idea fit in with the whole concept of re-creating the womb for newborns that I'd read about in "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp.

I did a bit of research on the different types of wraps and ended up deciding on the Moby - a versatile, affordable, ergonomic option. I wasn't sure exactly what kind of use I'd get out of it, or if I'd even be able to figure out how to use it, but it seemed like if nothing else it would make for a good trial run in baby-wearing.

The first time I wrapped it on, I was having a particularly "up" morning during my bout with the baby blues the first week of my daughter's life. I had projects that had been lingering around the house that I probably should have let wait while I caught up on sleep and rested my weary, bleeding body, but the idea of being able to exert control over something in my life was much too appealing to let go.

I was surprised that I was so quickly able to figure out the instructions and successfully tie my tiny baby to my body. The little snugglebug nuzzled herself against my chest and fell fast asleep as I finally started to get our hospital bag unpacked. As I walked around the house both spending quality time with my baby and being a productive homemaker, I had a boost of confidence in parenting I had not yet experienced.

Today my little one is three weeks old, and we've had a very productive day running around the house and snuggling at the same time. And to top it all off, she is much more content and less fussy during the days that I wear her.

I'm not sure how long the Moby will last as my carrier of choice. I do find that she eventually starts to "sag down" as I carry her longer and longer, and I imagine that problem will only get worse as she grows bigger. But I can promise that my husband and I will be baby-wearing parents at least until she is big enough to walk around on her own!

No comments:

Post a Comment